Track Day GTVi - South Australia

Thanks for the informative post you have some good info from the day there and I really like the fact that you have put the race chrono app details up. It is one of the things I have found up here with the track days we have had that everyone that has just used race chrono or another app seems to get quicker times than they should in comparison to using the hired timer’s from the track. I’m not saying that some of the times may be legitimate by other’s that they have got but more inconsistent and usually lower.

Sounds like the lsd really worked well and it is probably something worth me hunting down in future when I get more serious as even the move was spinning inside wheel’s on the last track day at QR. I hope I have maybe solved a little bit of it by having more travel in the front than previous and having the front of the car slightly higher and softer springs than the rear. Only time will tell when I get back out there again.

1 Like

Not wanting to open a debate about timers :slight_smile:
But you’re right and the outright times don’t matter much compared to the “in-house” friendly comp we have going. For that we’ve standardised as much as possible, ie I used the exact same external gps unit for the timing as the Proton.

These GPS units were also in use at SA Time Attack and we’re within 0.1s of the tracks timing. So they can’t be too far off. Also they are higher hz than just using most mobile phone as the gps sensor.

But outright Time is only one good point. The speed vs time/distance plots are interesting that Racechrono can provide. Before this lastest round of mods, I was down 3-5km/h at every straight before braking to the Proton and 7-10km/h down on the shortest straight. Now I’m equal on long straights and a bit above on the short, which I attribute to gearing. The acceleration rate (steepness of curve) is also visually represented when exiting in 2nd before a shallower curve occurs for 3rd and 4th.

Putting power to ground was main reason for LSD, but dynamically I feel there are more benefits than just that. I wasn’t able to unsettle the rear as much into a couple of the turns and compared to other FWD cars. Firmly believe that is due to being able to nail the throttle and be pulled through. Having said that, the Proton driver went from Nanking ns2r to ar1’s at the front and said that eliminate wheel spin for him - though it didn’t immediately translate to better times on the track.

1 Like

3 seconds off your last lap times is awesome! regarding the esses. At QLD Raceway Sprint track I found with the shorter gearing in the Move sticking to a higher gear and trying to be smoother through them it was much quicker than trying to power out in a lower gear. What tyres are you currently running?

1 Like

Yeah I was very happy with the time! I wasn’t aware enough to match which gear-technique to which Laps, but I tried both: enter in 3rd (after braking from 4th) and flowing through it. And braking down to 2nd power out a bit, but then I need to change up mid-s. I was happy with the time, so next time it’s a spot to finesse. A lot of people have said “don’t change in the S” so will likely, as. You said, take it in 3rd, be smooth and focus on exit.

I’m running Kumho v720 - basically the successor to the popular KU36’s and basically their fast street tyre / track crossover. Still TW of 200 though so not a true track semi slick. Holds up fine I think, low weight of the car helps. About 30psi I was targeting. Which was about 24 front and 27 rear cold.

4 Likes

Looking forward to seeing this further develop. I was planning to cut holes on the ‘chrome’ parts on the front bumper of the facelift front end for either brake cooling or better cold air for the intake. Got the idea from the D-Sport race sirion:
d-sport_storia_m100s_aero_04

Likewise, the D-Sport panels were the inspiration. The pre-FL has different shaped corner chrome bits, but the thinking is the same. I took the corner one off and it’s solid plastic bumper beneath it. So the dremel took care of that into a rectangle opening. Now I have to do the chrome trim and connect a hose to make sure it get to where the pod is. It’s a bit tight as there isn’t much room to go around some of the front support structure. Likely relocated the radiator overflow bottle or try and fettle the metalwork below and too the rear of the headlight. Get a bit more free flowing air with less bends.

Brake ducting will come from fog lights. With the front cover off the reflector bowl is a decent enough funnel. Just enlarged where the globe goes in the reflector bowl to match the rear opening in the housing. I’ll try 2.25” hosing and clamp it down to the 2.125” holes. That ducting will be more flexing than silicone joiners etc. probably spray it all black to be less obvious that the front cover is off - but likely to get a number of stone chips…we’ll see!

2 Likes

I’ve got a set of V720 as road tires. They are okay. They feel good but are not as sticky as the Nangkang NS2R I had before. I’ve also got some AR1 which I keep for race only.

I drive left foot braking and don’t bother with rev matching to change down for the purpose of braking. I would say I can get shorter stopping distances just focusing on the brakes, and then rev match while off the power in a corner to select the gear I need to pull out.

1 Like

It looks a little ghetto, due to a last minute decision to put a layer of closed cell foam under the square of carpet I removed and to “reinstall” it as a bit of a cushion barrier. 90% of time it will be hidden under seat anyhow and only visible when tracking it.

Anyway, it’s a FullRiver HC20 battery, relocated to under passenger seat. Being AGM it can be mounted horizontally. So the weight is now between axles and CoG is lower down, instead of in front of front axle and about a foot higher. Other benefit, as mentioned, is heaps of space for air intake setup.

I used a 120amp circuit breaker from jaycar. Wiring is just some existing 4G from a stereo install on my partners Evo. 4G wasn’t widely suggested and 2G recommended, but small car, short wiring lengths and my friends proton’s setup with 4G wiring is holding together. 1 x length to connect positive and 2 x lengths for earthing.

Also just used the aircon grommet location to get through firewall as this car didn’t have AC from factory.

2 Likes

Not complete, need some more hose clamps and a bracket to help prop it up (instead of the balanced spanner if you can spot it). But otherwise should be no worse than factory and hopefully better. 2.1/8 inch all the way. DNA motorbike filter with rubber end which was drilled to accomodate air intake temp sensor (just need to lengthen wires…)

6 Likes

On the 18th August I headed out in the Sirion to Tailem Bend Motorsport Park to take part in the Hyperdrive3D portion of a mixed event. This Track Day was shared between Hyperdrive, BMW Club and Porsche Club - with each group getting 4-5 Sessions over the day. The weather was not great, Sessions 1 and 3 were dry. My first few laps of Session 2 was dry before it was red flagged due to rain / wind. Session 4 after lunch was completely wet and I made the decision to not go out in Session 5. Tailem Bend has 4 different configurations - and we were on the International Circuit.

Tailem Bend - International Circuit is a much larger circuit than Mallala - complete with a kilometer long straight that I had concerns over the Sirions new lower final drive. My concerns were put to rest, at the end of the straight I was around 7k rpm in 4th and ~160km/h. It was a windy day, so a combination of the wind, lack of power and not the most aerodynamic vehicle, meant that I couldn’t go any faster - which had the benefit of not needing to shift into 5th.

I’ve not been on this track before, so its no surprise that I was getting to know the track. Sessions 1-3 saw a steadily lower time:

• S1 2:53.19
  • S2 2:48.13
  • S3 2:45.54

As per last time with the GPS-based timing and RaceChrono, my theoretical best was a 2:43.50 based on the best individual sectors combined. So certainly a couple of extra seconds to be gained through consistency. One example is: the Turn 1,2,3 Complex - between my fastest actual and theoretical there are two distinct lines that can be seen (the track is very wide also).

On the theoretical best, I’ve clearly braked later and more positively reducing speed more - but then that has paid-off in higher speed through T2 and was not compromised in the tighter T3. So good info to be had from simple timing/GPS.

In Session 4 - we had a very wet session. I was enjoying finding the limits of grip in the wet as I’d never been on track when it was this wet. It did come unstuck at one point, with a spin at ~115km/h into a space with limited run off. Thankfully it stayed off the wall.

It is a long sweeping left hander, and the lap prior I could hold it flat through there. I don’t believe it was continuing to rain at the time, so approach the next lap the same - however past the apex the car snapped left very quickly. The opposite lock didn’t save it, but likely helped once the wheels bit into the grassed area as the car spun back around to the right.

Again, the benchmark time was the Protron Satria Gti - which i managed to best by 2 tenths in my Actual fastest lap. Again proving that the two cars & drivers are quite evenly matched. There were a few other cars out there with less experienced drivers (though more powerful cars) and as such the Sirion did itself proud against the competition:

• Mazda 3 MPS - 2:42.8
  • Mazda RX8 - 2:47.4
  • Mazda SP20 - 2:43.0

Times / Racechrono Data can be found: http://www.hyperdrive3d.com.au/pastevents/Track120/index.php

Modification-wise:

• Intake worked ‘well’ / ‘fine’ as much as I could tell.
  • Second chrome trim was also cut and installed (bumper was also cut) to feed air from the front of the car to the pod filter. I believe this worked as there was a ‘dirty’ patch on the underside of the bonnet.
    -LSD and rest of the package worked well.

I’m really happy with where the car is at, there isn’t much more to do other than seat time. I think the Brakes and the rear suspension will still be the area’s of focus. Perhaps some lighter rims and proper Track Semi Slicks. But so far with the increased attention on oil changes and top ups the engine is holding together. I have a Dyno Day on the 5th October, so will be good to finally see how many kilowatts I’m actually playing with!

Extra Photos:

(Final intake with support brackets etc).

4 Likes

Glad the car is going well and looking forward to the Dyno results.

Professional Pictures:

9 Likes

Attended HyperDrive3D’s dyno day today, a day dominated by a string of 86/BRZ’s and Proton Satria GTI’s. The Sirion GTVI took out the lowest power award for sure, but it didn’t disappoint with some theatrics - smoking out the workshop and throwing small flames here and there.

Dyno’d today at 56.1Kw and 195nM

Info people may be interested in: 4th gear, 5.545 Final Drive, 32.7 DegC Ambient Temp, Factory GTVI 14" rims and factory sized tyres

6 Likes

Haha, love it!

Impressive amount of torque for such a small engine. 120nm >195nm. well done dude , sounds awesome too.

3 Likes

Next Track Day at “The Bend” in Adelaide booked in for March 29th.
Prior PB is 2:45.54 on the International Track configuration.

Upgrades that should be on for this time around are focused on front brakes. The tried and tested Copen brake upgrade with Copen Calipers, Factory discs (maybe aftermarket, D-Sport or similar) and Dixcel Z-Type Pads.

This time I’ll be going head-to-head with the Proton Satria GTi on the same day. Can’t Wait!

5 Likes

Would the Proton be Justin?

1 Like

Yes and no. I believe Justin will be there. But it’s his fellow “Broton” (yes that’s what they call themselves…about 5 or 6 now) Shaun that is in the self-termed “slow car challenge”.

Unofficial entrants are the proton Satria Gti, early MX-5 and S1 RX-7 (carb-fed but a 13B not the 12A). And this Sirion of course. All N/A. Mines the underdog on power for sure, but all are in a similar power:weight based on RedBook and weigh bridge / dyno figures.

Justin’s gti would be far too powerful around most of the track but especially on the long straight with the turbo hanging off that motor and the power it’s running.

4 Likes

Track Day Cancelled :frowning:

Currently based in WA, so unlikely I’ll get back to SA to even work on it, change brakes etc.
So delayed till further notice.

Currently driving a 3cyl 1L…turbo…but it’s a Ford Fiesta Sport.
Time to order some mods for that! Bluefin Tune on the way.

5 Likes

Where to get caliper bracket for 262mm rotor?