Before I purchased my l200 I drove an r32 gts. I spent most of my p plater years hooning around pretending I’m in tokyo drift. As I started doing more and more mods to it I knew that I’d have to get something to daily around. I knew I wanted a cheap little daihatsu so i baught a smashed up l200 for $25 and set about fixing it. Some major damage to the drivers side as it had been Tboned.
After rego it didn’t take long for me to start modifying it so I started with some garden edging bodykits. Driving around I got alot of attention from general public and people asking “what is it” and such. I realized that nobody actually knew what it was as I live in a small coastal town. So i decided to go all out with styling to really blow people away.
My mate had some old broken supra side skirts laying around so I ended up taking them, a lot of cutting and fibreglassing later and they fit!. Next was some sort of a front and rear lip. Went and picked up a $10 plastic lancer bar from the tip and cut it up and moulded it around the front and rear bars to suit. I then got a drift vent off ebay for $80, almost had to cut it in half cause thats all the mira bonnet needed. cut, filled and painted and ended up with a nice bonnet. I always wanted a takeoff wing but they are so hard to comeby, so I took an old piece of alloy sheet, cut it and bent it into shape and then i had my own diy takeoff wing. I had been looking at all different paint jobs and artworks on the web and I was drawn to the Brock racing stripes. Red is my favourite colour so I Kept the factory red, rubbed it back, sprayed the white then cleared over the whole lot with magenta, red & purple fleck in the clear. Sun really makes it pop.
Some more attention and alot of people trying to race, I knew that it was embarrassingly slow. Baught a $25 2” magna exhaust, cut and welded it together so it fit the mira. Then I got a full trxx turbo kit and bolted it straight to the Na engine with nothing but a FPR controlling fuel. Drove around for about a year before the engine got old and tired.
Decided that engine was no good anymore. Built another engine with 280deg pipercam, adj camgear, 1.5mm metal headgasket and set about controlling fuel with a greddy emanage blue. The cam was creating less then .5psi of vacuum and wouldn’t let it idle, thus the charging system always failed making it almost impossible to daily. I ended up drilling holes in the throttle body to get more airflow at idle which fixed everything!. Then the greddy emanage allowed me to adjust fuel +or- 20% at every 1krpms up to 6krpm.
Although i have a daily able streetcar again I still want to push and mod more!.. Plans are completely built motor, pistons, manifolds, bigger turbo, fuel system then hopefully figure out a standalone ecu option and get it tuned properly. then make up some proper suspension so I can enter hillclimb events!. But all in time…
Will surely be adding more and more to this build thread as recall stuff ive missed and as more happens. But as like all dai’s its never finished!.