Sirion M1 Master cylinder and brake booster upgrade

How to guide for brake booster/ master cylinder upgrade on a Sirion M1.

I did this upgrade after installing Copen front brakes and Applause rear brakes on my Sirion. I found the standard 3/4” (19mm) master cylinder just wasn’t moving enough fluid and I had too much travel in the pedal. After a bit of research I found the M3 Sirion booster/MC assembly could fit. It has a 13/16” (20.6mm) bore and the booster is also larger providing more assistance. I did this conversion on a LHD Sirion, I am not sure if it will also work on the RHD Sirion. If you try it please share your results :slight_smile:

Parts list;

1. M3 brake booster (part # 131010-15210)
    With alu spacer block!
  2. M3 master cylinder (part # 47201-B1020)
    With reservior!

Steps:

1. Remove brake booster and master cylinder
    https://livetodai.com/t/workshop-manuals/52
  2. A small section of the firewall needs to be cut out (or hammered in :upside_down_face: )

1. Shorten the threaded rod from the brake booster by 1cm to prevent fouling on the brake pedal. Fit the fork from the original brake booster.

1. Install the new brake booster and master cylinder. The brake lines can be slightly bent and moved to fit the master cylinder with minimal effort.
  2. Fabricate a mounting bracket for the reservoir. In my situation I had to extend the hose between the reservoir and master cylinder due to the location of my strut brace. I welded a small bracket to the charcoal canister mount for the reservoir.

1. The pedal free-play will need to be adjusted and the brake system will need to be bled. Refer to workshop manual.
7 Likes

I’ve been following this thread for a bit and find it interesting that you changed the master cylinder. I’m running a standard L60 booster and master cylinder that go to stock VN discs and calipers all round. IIRC, the Vn was a 13/16" bore and the daihatsu was 3/4" bore. Even with the smaller master there is plenty of pedal and I can lock up the brakes fairly easily.

3 Likes

How did it all end up? Interested

Been driving with this setup for years, I wrote the guide long after the conversion. It works great :+1:

3 Likes

Out of interest the aussie m100 and m101 both run 13/16 masters already

Was going to upgrade till i found the 13/16 stamping on mine (usually on the underside but this was under the reservoir tank itself on top

Next stops a 7/8 master i guess but cant find one where the pipework lines up close

7/8" is bigger than 13/16" so it will reduce pedal travel and make for more effort to pull you up. To reduce force on the pedal go to a smaller master cylinder or bigger pistons in the calipers or wheel cylinders. I’d call 3/4" an upgrade.

2 Likes

Hmm ok, id always gone up a size with more piston size in subarus

Either way ill stay with 13/16 and see how it goes with copen fronts and drum rears

When i change to the disc rears things might change

If you go up in caliper piston size you can go up in master cylinder size. With my Subaru I kept the std NA Liberty master cyl when the Brembos went on. I did measure stroke volume of the master cyl to ensure it had capacity for the greater caliper piston volume.

2 Likes

I did the same on my rs turbo when going brembos, but the master was actually the same bore as the STi version and i only changed the booster over

I was mainly thinking going from sirion to copen calipers would have been an increase in piston sizing ao would warrant a larger master, but i may be wrong it may only be the disc diameter/thickness?

I’ve done the L200 to Sirion to Copen upgrade once. The master cylinder didn’t need the upgrade. The Copen caliper was physically bigger but I can’t remember and difference in piston size though I would assume some increase.

1 Like

Sweet, not many options atm anyways so will run it and see how it goes ans worry about it if/when i go rear disc

WIth that Copen front rotors and calipers on an L200 I also did Applause rear calipers, and we left the master cyl std.

1 Like

Well thats even better the hear, makes sense if Mick here moved up to a 13/16 master (which is what I already run in the m101

Need to read up on the applause swap now i think and start to gather some bits

1 Like

I have since swapped back to the smaller m100 brake booster and adapted the m300 master cylinder to it.
Also worth mentioning that there are at least two different master cylinder sizes for the m100.

I have also welded the hole in the brake pedal closed and drilled a new hole about 1cm further down.

All this in an attempt to improve pedal feel, but it’s still squishy as hell, no matter how I bleed it. Nothing is leaking.

I am assuming one of the valves in the abs block is not seating properly, so that’s next to be replaced.

I will possibly attempt to overclock the replacement abs to improve regulation speed.

Will keep you up to date

4 Likes

The brakes seem to be the weak point of my M101 Sirion Rally 2, having very long pedal travel and not a lot of assurance that they will actually stop the car! It feels like I have about 50bhp too much engine for the brakes.

I’ve recently replaced both front calipers and thoroughly bled the system but there is still a lot of pedal travel before anything happens, and then generally wooly-ness.

I notice upthread, someone mentions adjustment at the pedal, how is this done please? I wonder if there is slack in the pedal causing the initial 1" or so of pedal movement where literally nothing happens.

EDIT - I’ve had a good look and there is no slack on the pedal - The pedal is a bit of a wobbly fit onto the pushrod of the master cylinder, but not a major cause for concern - there is about 5mm of play at the pedal while this is taken up, then the pedal immediately starts acting on the pushrod of the master cylinder on my car. So it looks like this is working normally, but there is a lot of pedal travel before meaningful braking is achieved!

1 Like

This is exactly the same as my experience

“Whatever size the stock M101 gtvi master cylinder is, the braking efficiency all happens towards the end of the pedal”

1 Like