RED ROOSTA aka ANGRY BIRD

I used to have massive issues with heating on my track 180, I ended up getting a vented bonnet and it made a MASSIVE difference… From 105 Degrees water temp down to 95, but that was with a decent sized turbo…

Unfortunately that’s the only photo I have right now, I’ll dig up some more if you’re keen… Essentially it was two nostril types in the centre at the front, and a small vent on each side towards the top of the bonnet…

Also do you have any videos of your track days? I can’t wait to get my L200 on track…

1 Like

Here are some vids on circuit and drag strip.

My first track meet I had a boost leak, so was running on only 10psi

Drag meet last December

1 Like

Wow, very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Track looks interesting, and there looks like a big crowd there.

Need to find a way to get you a quicker steering rack. You seem to be working the wheel a lot. What tires are you running? Do you need to be careful with the throttle out of corners to stop wheel spin?

I feel a bit inspired to get back to work on mine. However, today I am just working to clear space so I can work. There’s not a lot of flat area where I live and I’m high up on a small mountain (yes the roads around here are fantastic). So today I’m excavating under my house for more room using my little Bobcat 316 excavator.

Yes loads of work with the steering and yes I have to watch how I use the throttle.
Running Sumitomo 175/50/13. That’s the best I can get locally. Wanna try your 15" wheel mod but it’s quite a decent load of work :sweat_smile:.

Some good news and bad news for today. I Installed the jack shaft( imtermediate shaft, dummy shaft) I really do feel more control of the car.
I was more confident going into corners at high speeds; haven’t done my mountain run test yet. Will see how it feels on my way home from work tonight.

The bad news is I felt the clutch slip :neutral_face::roll_eyes:, like SERIOUSLY, what good timing.
I do have the time but crap this is gonna kick the budget, then to muster up the mindset to pull down the car AGAIN :triumph::triumph::expressionless:.

2 Likes

Here’s a vid of the second race of the day. The class is turbo and Natural; the natural guys were crying that i was holding them back from competiting with one another :joy:.,so I decided to let them go first. I did spin out. Not sure why :sweat_smile:.
A guy ahead of my said he spilled some coolant and spun in the same area

2 Likes

Some clutch slip could mean you’ve found more traction, hopefully.

Something you prob know, but anyway, check to make sure the clutch is releasing properly.

Ya,the adjustment feels weird. So I just made an adjustment. Hope that works. 1hr and I’m off from work. I pray it’s the release.
Now that I have this in how am I gonna warm up back to the L700 gearbox :joy:…then again lemme not ask, as my input shaft and 3rd gear might answer me :see_no_evil:

1 Like

REACH HOME!

Adjusted the clutch before I left work. No slipping whew
I have more confidence in driving the car now. I can only imagine what it would be like with LSD :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Man that track looks awesome… Heaps of elevation changes. Good to see some spirited driving!

2 Likes

Hail all. Small update. My track day practice is this weekend, so just did some cleaning up.

Since it seems I won’t be reinstalling my sound system #becausearacecar. I decided to relocate my mini gauges and install a manual switch for my radiator fan.
Now to find a reasonable place to mount my boost switch :thinking:

@FortisD pics didn’t work bloke :frowning:

Just an FYI @FortisD

With the L2D forum you can simply drag and drop photos (including multiple files) or upload them to your post directly from your phone.

No longer need to use a hosting service

2 Likes

photobucket no longer allows 3rd party hosting without going on to a paid plan. Why the hell someone would want to pay for the add infested slow photobucket is beyond me. You can still have an 2gb account and put your pics there but cant post them anywhere anymore in forums etc. Here is the plans they have, which i think is pretty stupid. I guess everyone will go to image shack now. lol

1 Like

There we go :open_hands:.
Forgot how awesome and easy this forum is unlike others I used in the past. Always tried to upload pics via the forum itself and it takes a long time.

Thanks @FrAsErTaG

1 Like

Decided to change my rear shocks. I was using suzuki samurai rear shocks; they are firmer but didn’t realise they were bout an inch taller when i bought em years ago.
They were working well for me with the lowering springs. Now I’m using the stock springs; so I’ve now installed a pair of KYB shocks i ordered for l500 from Japan a year ago; used but in good condition.

Water/Meth injection kit reconnected. Running water for the moment. Steam cleaning and anti detonation.

Changed fluids. I’ve been using straight tap water, and we know that’s not healthy where corrosion is concerned, but you’re not suppose to use coolant at the track. So I decided to use this amsoil additive.
Switched to Dominator 15-50; let’s see how it holds up to the track

Colour wise your Amsoil looks like the Redline Water Wetter that I use. Has no anti corrsion benefit but does increase the boiling point.

1 Like

Did do some researcha and compared them. The amsoil additive does that plus the anti corrosion
www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/dominator-coolant-boost/?code=RDCBCN-EA

1 Like

Some good info. I may just have to switch over.

Just reporting in. Good day at the track, car feels good, I like the operating temps. Traction is my issue
Here’s a lap I did on 20psi

5 Likes

Had a drag meet Sunday. Fun day
Did one qualification run of 15.06

For this meet I decided to reinstall the taller and firmer samurai shocks at the back; it increases the rear height forcing down the front, increasing traction and better transfer the load when the power comes on. Thanks to my dad and bro for the helping hand

Made it to the second round where I broke out of the class running 14.999 against a Subaru

Qualifying Run

First Round against a BMW, was trying to launch at a lower RPM for less wheelspin, that didn’t work out, had to run him down, a good reaction time and passing the finish first gave me the win.

Second round race

4 Likes