My Sirion M101

yes they fail aye. too much torque added with the tune huh?!
but the good thing is that you can get after market gears
that are stronger and will make the car faster
but will probably cost you what that car owes you in total so far :laughing::joy:

We were talking left foot braking with regards to cornering and why “big rear brakes”. There can also be a benefit in turbo cars to throttle up just before corner exit while braking to reduce turbo lag. I’ve not got a fwd turbo but it works on my old WRX and is the biggest hoot on dirt and no faster way.

oh
a subaru
my condolences
have you considered getting rid of it and getting something better?
like a daihatsu?

1 Like

The whole point of a Daihatsu (or as you see a Subaru) is no one expects you to be fast (and most aren’t - esp the small car “looks fast” craze that only mimic fast). Hence the current race car is a LIberty GX wagon. Results speak for themselves.

“Better”? High roof wagon and awd suit my purposes. WRX is just a road car with AWD and again suits its intended purpose of driving to Bundy and back to visit my parents. The L200 - just a short trip/shopping cart.

2 Likes

I died with this expression, how much truth :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Pretty sure someone was asking about adapted kits for the front brakes and I forgot to put a fresh link in So here it is

2 Likes

Hi guys!

As I mentioned earlier in January, I broke the gearbox so I didn’t participate in February in any race :sob::sob::sob:

In March we raced in a new track, for many people the best racetrack of Chile (the infrastructure is really good), it’s a entertaining racetrack but with an eternal straight that was rather a disadvantage for the little Sirion.

Well, before that continue, we did some things for this race (apart from repairing the gearbox)

We gave a little more caster to the car by placing washers on the sway bar :grinning:

Finally I have a sports seat :wink: (and the corresponding weight reduction)

We eliminate the hydraulic pump and place a lightened crankshaft pulley (weighs half of the original)

We install the oil cooler (this is a marvel, despite being small the oil does not exceed 92 ° C)

And finally we installed the Throttle body of the Daihatsu Terios 1.5 (the only problem is that we did not have time to do the induction)

Well, the truth is that I think we messed up, we were all weekend with the car mixing badly (at 4000 rpm the wideband was at 16 and the car was not moving at all, it was doing better at 6000 rpm).

The change of seat by a sports seat and disconnect the hydraulic pump is a marvel, it improves a lot the control of car and the precision behind the steering wheel. :grin:

ok, about the race, don’t ask me how but we won a lower category to which I always participate. I leave a video anyway pursuing larger cars … equally entertaining but metaphorically speaking I was raped on the straight.

The next race is April 20, I hope to have the induction for that date and be able to solve the mixing problems. Apart from that I have to install an adjustable camshaft pulley (which I bought next to the crankshaft pulley). for last, i ordered some plasma spark plugs, to see if it do something (https://pulstar.com/), the truth is that i don’t have them much faith.

see you!

4 Likes

thats awesome I’m sure you will get the kink’s ironed out love the footage. Looked like you were going hard at it. :slight_smile:

So good! Those other cars were much newer and more expensive. You did really well to chase them down like you did.

1 Like

Hi guys,
I have been a little disconnected but here I comment a bit on the progress of the car.

First I had to show them the induction, after the change of the Throttle body. Here I leave you a photos. For now we have it without a filter, although I hope to invent something better in the future.

For the last race we only did a few things, one of them very unorthodox but I remember that something that @Mr_Gormsby always said he should have. Today I understand why.

First we made an artisanal short shifter . Here are some pictures.

And the second was to block the differential, but welding. What a difference! the car was a rocket in the exits of the curves but somewhat difficult to handle.

That change reduced us almost 2 seconds the time and also greatly improved the feeling of grip of the suspension.

Only my neck hurts because of the little habit of braking with the left foot. :rofl::rofl:

I leave some photos and a video as usual

My wife almost hit me for this picture … although it was intentional :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

sorry for the weakness of the publication … a hug!

6 Likes

I love reading about the development of this car and seeing how the changes effect your performance. Keep it up!

2 Likes

2 second improvement!!!

3 Likes

@Mr_Gormsby I know it’s a “must have”, you’ve always said it but the difference is brutal … I could have done that much earlier

very happy for that!!

2 Likes

wheels looking badass pal

That’s awesome!

All the justification I need for the real world benefits of an locked diff / LSD!

2 Likes

hello everyone …

I have to update the post, but the truth is that many things have happened and many ideas go around in my head … I will summarize.

I started to participate in a “normal” championship, the problem is that the category I qualified was “multi-brand 1600”. I thought that the car could participate in a good way, but the truth is that it was last or last (I am 3 seconds slower). However it has been a good experience. The problem is that in the last race I broke the engine, it hits quite hard at the top of the cylinder head.

Taking this in consideration. I think it’s time to see an engine upgrade (which complies with the regulations of the category), basically a 1600 engine without vtec, neovvl or similar. 3SZ could it be an option? or having such a long career will I not be able to revolutionize it so much? Do you see any other alternative? It’s posible build a hybrid k3/3sz engine? Almost everyone in the category uses PSA (TU5JP4) or WV (AP) engines, I think it is basically because these sides of the world are cheap and well developed engines (due to the Argentines and Brazilians). What do you think? I would not like to change the chassis … it is the only Sirion in competition in Chile and I love how it attracts attention.

4 Likes

Does it have to be a “Daihatsu” engine or can you swap anything in?

You could also try to claim Toyota engines are Daihatsu due to parent company.

Anyway; the 3SZ appears a good option. However you could try the 1NZ engine - it has an aluminium block and should be lighter. Otherwise, Malaysians have squeezed the 4AGE from Toyota which is right on the 1600cc limit. There is also the bigger charade engines, there is a 1600cc version.

Edit:
Do you have a good idea of where/why you’re slower? IE could any changed to grip/gearing etc assist? Or is it simply a lack of power/torque that the faster cars simply pull away on the straights (and the gap can’t be closed through corners with grip/lightness/agility)?

Is there metrics for supercharger / turbo? However generally there are metrics like engine cc multiplied by a factor to get “effective” engine cc. IE 1300 x 1.7 if turbo (in the case of the K3VET) would be above your 1600cc limit. Alternatively, you could drop to some of the smaller daihatsu engines but with turbocharging.

From your posts it seems like you have access to a wide variety of tooling/machinery. I would suggest the 4AGE option could be ideal, it is such a tried and tested engine in street/race environments with a wide range of aftermarkets parts to keep it going for many race seasons.

2 Likes

For ease of availability perhaps look at one of the non VVT Toyota NR series which would be the most modern in the capacity you are looking at. Otherwise as TPG said 4AGE engine and box.

1 Like

Hello!!! I will complement the post based on @TPG responses.

Well my main idea is to keep the Dai platform or jump to a Toyota platform (a preference is without VVT System)

As I have not updated the post a while ago there are things that I did that I have not counted here (I promise to update the post as soon as possible to keep the record).

I will briefly count them:

1.- we remove the locked diff. (The joints were torn apart and the box literally loose inside) I understand that this point is critical but the category only works with open Diff or phanton Grip. This is where @TPG is right again (there are two curves where LSD or locked Diff make a huge difference)

2.- We put a diff 4.9 (I don’t know if it was good or bad), I can do the same time with the 4.2 locked diff but where I use the 4° the car dies (In red circle)

3.- Weight reduction according to the category (and its respective roll cage) by regulation the car must weigh 920 kg with pilot (today weighs 921 kg) … here there is a serious problem with the pilot … it’s very chubby.

4.- Nankang AR-1 195/50 / R15 tires by regulation.

5.- We place a standalone Ecu (Megasquirt 2). With this we lost control of the VVTI but we placed a cam corrector in the exhaust to be able to give some valve overlap.

6.- New measurement in dyno. 120 HP but with loss of Torque (although it is more square)

Original Measurement

New Measurement (New Redline 8000 RPM)

That being said, I am going to focus on this year’s regulation, however, there is a high probability that a point that would greatly benefit me the next year will change (table of weight per displacement)

The first thing is that only atmospheric engines whose maximum displacement is 1650 cc are allowed. The blocks are standard (I have to change my pistons), Maximum CR 11:1 and the work comes mainly in the cylinder head and intake/exhaust headers. The cams are limited to 9.9 mm.

The other restriction is that only chilean mass sales engine can be used (with this they leave out the 4AGE that did not officially arrive in Chile)

With this description, what I would most like to use is the 3sz block and the cylinder head and cams of k3 … that’s why I was talking about a hybrid. My Celica is basically a hybrid between a 2t and 3t engine of Toyota (I imagine that Toyota always does the same). But as much as I look for information if “there is” something like 5k I can’t find it.

the other feasible options are:

1.- A 4AFE (today exist a Starlet with this engine and fly!!)

2.- Some 5E-FE or some 5E-FE / 4E-FE hybrid.

3.- Any daihatsu HC-HD hybrid?

4.- 1NZ-FE although I do not dislike I have not had good experiences with that aluminum block …

Toyota’s newest engines are keep away from my budget (like 3zz / 1ZR)

To see the performance of the Sirion, I leave a fragment of the video of the last race.

what do you think?

4 Likes

Perhaps a 3SZ with K3 camshafts? its something Ive considered often