Mod or Stock?

Mitch_night_web

So i have a 93 G102 that i am crazy about but i cant get straight where i want to go with it. Part of me loves the idea of it being stock as and maintaining it and get it running like a dream, the other part wants to by a donor applause and do the 1.6 conversion…
Taking it off the road for an extended period isn’t really in the equation as its my daily driver. So i was wondering…
Are there any simple mods i can do to improve the performance a little? Extractors / exhaust etc? (remember I’m new to the mechanics thing so don’t have any idea what I am talking about, feel free to school me :+1:)
I’m not adverse to throwing a little cash/time at it to make this car even more fun, but struggle with the idea of stepping away from being stock.
I would love to here some suggestions or anything people have done here that have made their rides a little more enjoyable…

If this add is genuine and the applause has 100,000 on it, its seems to good to pass up!
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/morphett-vale/cars-vans-utes/1990-daihatsu-applause/1157026241

Mate your car looks very clean. I wouldn’t mess with the outside too much. Leave it looking very clean but I would personally not be backwards in changing the motor out to the applause motor. It won’t look that different under the bonnet given that you have to use a lot of original parts to make it work in the G 100 anyway and give you a lot more enjoyment.
Maybe look at mods that don’t detract from its original look like simple suspension mods and possibly even a brake upgrade. This will give you a lot of fun whilst retaining its original look and appeal that you are chasing.

Thanks @Paulep82,
yeah I’m keen on leaving the outside just as she is but was just surfing the old forum and reading Micks old swap out. The applause interests me not just for the 1.6 but like you mentioned, its brakes, shocks and springs would be a good project that shouldn’t take me off the road for more than a weekend! :+1:
Thanks for the feedback man!

1 Like

Is there any benefits to having 14’s as opposed to the stock 13’s? Is it a straight swap or does it require the applause hubs? Any guard mods to stop it scrubbing etc? Change to fuel consumption?

Obviously when you drive it harder it is going to use more fuel. Don’t forget though normal driving you are not going to use as much throttle imput to get to normal speed so I found in most cases my fuel consumption is no worse when I upgrade cars to bigger motors and such except for when you stick the boot into it.
The ratios are fairly well set for the motor they come with. Unless you plan on turbo in it or something I think the ratios should be fairly good. As for the 13 inch verse 12 inch wheels if you look at the outside diameter of the rubber Available for 12 inch they are not that much smaller in total circumference than 13 inch rubber.
The clearence issues are probably going to depend on we’ll offset. If you have an issue with slightly less offset towards the Centre then you may want to look at rolling the lip on the guards but not too much because your paint will split.
Probably more on the back with the flatter wheel arches than the front. The front you can often pull the guard a fraction wider just by holding the guard fairly firm and stretching it a little. Try not to bust the guard liner

1 Like

some came with 14’s overseas, if you go them make sure the tyre size is equivalent to the 13’s to keep speedo correct, straight swap, 4x100 + 38 to +45 offset but because of rear guards you can only run 185 width. for the applause motor, straight swap, just change the motor itself, leave all your accessories and should only take 1 day.

1 Like

You guys rock @Mokeman & @Paulep82. The input is appreciated! Going to see if i can have a suss of the applause this arvo/tomorrow! Prob keep the 1.3 in for a while and then just take it real slow scrapping the applause and cleaning up the motor ready for the big day! Champions

1 Like

You may run into trouble with 185/60r14s - mine just touched on th rear guards. I had them rolled and have since run 195/50r15s.

185/60r14s are a good size for the Charade - but high performance tyres in the smaller sizes are not as common as they used to be.

1 Like

And as for power up mods - get extractors, the best first mod for any H-Series.

I found these having a quick look.
http://www.mufflerstothemax.com.au/daihatsu-charade-1.3-1.5l-fwd-g102-g200-g203-1988
Any brands/companies you could recommend?
The other thing I was concerned about was when eventually, if I do end up going that route, I did get a 1.6 if these would still fit or if then I would need to sell them on and replace?!

Those Hurricanes look ok to me, they would be much better than the stock setup.

On the G102 you have to keep an eye on sway bar clearance, particularly with a 1.3 which isn’t as tall as the 1.6 block.

Daddio has a set of Hurricanes on his hill climb car, he may be able to comment on them.

Don’t worry about future engine swaps - the extractors could be used on the 1.6 motor too.

1 Like

Also if you choose these hurricane extractors try calling Liverpool exhaust direct. they’re the manufacturer of these extractors.
There in Seton rd Moorebank nsw.
I know them well.
I buy all my flanges, bends and gaskets from them.

1 Like

Awesome! Any chance you could shed some light on sway bar clearance @daddio in regards to hurricane extractors?
And thanks for the tip Paule, will call them direct.
Also, @JC050 & @Paulep82 would this also mean from the extractors outlet, I would then need to run a 2inch exhaust? Can you run smaller diameters or would that completely counteract the extractors altogether? Sorry if that’s a stupid question, I have zero mechanical background :confused:
Thanks all!

Mate no real silly questions. It’s actually asked a lot in my world.
I’d give you the advice of, it’s not ideal and yes, to an extent it would restrict and counter act some of the benefits of the extractors (Even though those extractors are more “economy” extractors rather than “equal length/ performance extractors”) but there is also the fact that the exhaust gas would have cooled segnifigantly at that junction so won’t be as critical but something of a similar size I would say would suit. Don’t just jam it into a 1" pipe.
You also need some back pressure so don’t just throw a 3" straight through system on it either.
An exhaust system is more critical on a naturally aspirated engine than a turbo. This is why decent results can be found on turbo cars with cheapo systems found online and in an NA car, there is a loss in bottom end/ low end power.
It kinda shifts it higher in the rev range if anything at all.
Exhausts are complex and not just a pipe to keep fumes out the back and cops off your back.
There is a real measured science in them in most situations.
For instance the cat converter and its positioning in distance from the headers.
It has to remain hot to burn off any excess build up but also far enough not to restrict.
Very similar to putting pod filters straight onto the inlet.
Don’t even start me on pod filters.

1 Like

Haha awesome man. I’m hearing ya. The reason i asked is because im keen on getting a little mor HP But never been big on the whole 4" cannon, car sounds like a harley, blow your hair back stuff. And yeah don’t like fines, so not keen on cops. I just want to cruise under the radar! :wink: can you connect the standard exhaust to the extractors that are on the g102? I guess id have to find the diameter of it. Gonna dog out the manual and have a suss! I’m not sure what a POD filter is?! Sounds like it you’ve had a bit to do with them?

I would suggest a 2" exhaust system. Other member have had 2.5" but this is too big. From memory the stock G102 is 1-3/4".

1 Like

Hurricane extractors just clear the sway bar. By how much I can tell you later. You have to be careful when welding your flange on that it will actually slide in and fit. Because my car is originally 3 cylinder my 1.6 may not be 100% in factory position just worth keeping in mind.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @daddio. Will keep that in mind. I currently have 1.3 in mine i was considering them for, but a little worried that with the block sitting lower than the 1.6 i may have clearance issues. Thanks @JC050 2" would be the go. How hard a job is this to do yourself? Or is it best to take it to an exhaust guy?

I had the extractors on my 1.3 as well. It’s a tight fit on both capacities. I’ll give you some actual measurements tonight.

1 Like

Definitely a job for an exhaust shop.

1 Like