G102 Wedding car

There’s one man that’s been in my wife’s life longer than I have, and sometimes I wonder if she love’s him more than me! His name is Mitch, our '93 G102. I actually owe my love of Daihatsu’s to my wife, who introduced me to them via this first love. After driving the G102 to work everyday, I too was in love, so when it came time to get hitched, there was only one car for us to ad of holy matrimony…

Only problem, he’s 23 years old and wasn’t up to scratch! …Time for a wedding makeover!

Time to strip
Strip_3

Strip_1

Strip_4

Strip_5

After getting it all stripped, we began bogging any of the dents earned over the last 23 years.

bog_1

bog_2

bog_3

After we sanded our bogged patches and got our lines straight as we could, it was now it was time to prime.

taped_up
Got him taped up

bog_primed

bog_primed2

We then sprayed a guide coat over the whole vehicle to make sure that when we sanded we got every little inch of the car evenly.

guide_coat

guide_coat2

After the guide coat was gone, gave her a quick wash off

sand_guide3

sand_guide2

washed_off_re_tape

Time to re-tape in prep for spraying!
washed_off_re_tape

The moment of truth! Spray time!!!
sprayed

sprayed2

sprayed3

sprayed5

sprayed4

sprayed6

All painted up, plastic peeled off
painted2

painted3

painted

Had always planned to get the polish on him but didn’t get the time before the big day.
We were pretty happy with how it all turned out!
Just_married

Mitch_beach_web

_web

Then @ 300,000+ kms the engine blew! but that’s another post for another day :wink:

7 Likes

Good story mate :wink: Paint looks to have come up pretty good aswell.

1 Like

Great story… You make it all look so simple. The car looks great.

Isn’t it funny that a cheap,shitty little car (no disrespect intended) can win our heart’s over. I’ve been playing with cars for a very long time, & the subject of what gives a car “character, or soul” , is always in my mind. The Daihatsu was built as a cheap to make, cheap to own budget car, yet its far greater than the sum of its parts.

Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks mate. My cousin is a panel beater and I couldn’t of got the result without him! He’s the Sensei and I was the grasshopper…

1 Like

Hahaha. It’s all learning!.. Great outcome too!

1 Like

It would look good with our Avanti racing mags on it our old white one looks good with them & the’re 14s ( it cost $250 & has also hit a kangaroo so they are tough little buggers , the motor broke no2 leg recently but I had another motor to replace it 470,000 when it went bang lol the reco motor will pull 7g,s in the first 4 gears & bounces the speedo needle off the stopper which is 190 so I don’t know top end but it’s fun to drive torque steer & all lol.

1 Like

That’s pretty mental! haha 190 would feel so quick in such a little beast!

It sticks to the road like glue & suprisingly doesn’t feel that fast but it’s great fun to go that quick in something that small ,before I started work on my Sirion M100(the 3 cylinder ) it would do 60 in 1st,90 in 2nd & 135 in 3rd being unregistered wasn’t game to test out top end but when it’s got rego look out lol.

1 Like